- Highly desirable, matching numbers roadster in stylish colours
- Completely refurbished
- Beautifully presented in a stunning Grey over Red leather with matching original hardtop
- Includes original factory specification and an extensive file of receipts
- Retains its original engine
- All documents were checked and the car was photographed personally by Auctomobile
- Other features: possibility of assisting with registration, transport, insurance, storage and Trusted Checkout payment
- Please note that this car will be available for viewing by prior appointment near Prague, Czech Republic
The Mercedes-Benz 300 SL was technically brilliant in nearly every way, from its pioneering use of fuel injection to its tubular space frame. However, it wasn’t initially offered in an open body style and all of its technical innovation didn’t come cheaply. Mercedes desperately needed a sporting model that could sell at a lower price point.
The 190 SL utilized some of the features of the 300 SL like its independent rear suspension but rather than being built on a light space frame, the 190 was built on a shortened sedan platform. In place of the fuel injected six-cylinder was a carbureted four-banger breathing through twin Solex carburetors. The car driving characteristics were more of a boulevardier than a sports car, though it did look quite sporting as it shared a number of styling cues with the 300 SL. It also shared that car’s peerless build quality. For this reason, 190 SLs are nearly as difficult and expensive to restore as the more valuable 300 SL. Values of late have made it less of a labor-of-love proposition to restore one, but still the best practice is to buy a done car as the costs of even the most minor upgrades and refurbishing can escalate quickly.
This 1962 Mercedes-Benz 190 SL had been completely refurbished and is powered by a 1.9-liter M121 inline-four paired with a four-speed manual transmission. The car is finished in grey over red leather, and features include a black convertible top.
The documentation includes the original factory specification from 1962 confirming it is a fully matching numbers car in an absolutely perfect condition.